Dear ICSPR Goodwill Ambassadors, potential Ambassadors and all Pro-Palestine Activists,
We are announcing the peaceful popular march calling for the return of the Palestinian refugees to their homeland.
The Coordination Committee for the Great Return march appreciates your concern, attention and your constant interventions to ensure an appropriate and fertile environment for the realization of human rights.
We are addressing you today, on the basis of your legal and moral responsibilities, in order to promote our peaceful and legal mobility and to encourage you to cooperate with us and the expected participants in this just mobility, to ensure the realization of the right to return for the Palestinian people as an inalienable, indivisible right in accordance with the rules of law, labor, justice and international jurisprudence.
The “Great Return march” is a popular Palestinian peaceful march, where the participants (men, women, children, elders, families) will start marching from the Palestinian communities in the occupied territories (Gaza Strip, the West Bank and Jerusalem) and from (Jordan, Lebanon, Syria and Egypt) to their homes which were forcibly displaced in 1948.
The Great Return march aims to – by employing one of the most internationally recognized human rights realization tactics – enabling the Palestinian people to practice their right to return to their land, from which they were expelled in 1948, and that’s for the weakness and inability of all other means to realize their right to return over the Past 70 years.
The organizers of this march and their participants will never use any means of violence, and will only be limited to peaceful marching in accordance with the truce plan, bearing in mind that this march will be totally peaceful and doesn’t involve harming or threats to any country or using any means of violence.
It should be noted that the implementation of the Great Return march will be carried out peacefully in accordance with the rules of international law and in line with the UN resolutions on the return of the Palestinian refugees and other relevant international resolutions on the Palestinian issue.
In other words, the march will for the first time, employ the popular dimension to effectively compelling the Israeli occupation state, to the international resolutions and recommendations that it denies and refuses to implement, which over the past decades has constituted a clear threat to international peace and security.
The objective and legal basis for the popular march:
The UN Resolution 194 of the third session, issued on 11 December 1948, constitutes the international legal basis for the great return march, especially that it clearly called for the return to be allowed as soon as possible to refugees wishing to return to their homes and live in peace with their neighbors, and compensation should be paid for the property of those who decide not to return to their homes, and for every missing or injured person … “as well as international laws, especially which organize the legal framework for refugee rights, and the universal human rights principles that obligate the international community (States – International Organizations ) to help refugees return to their land and ensure their human dignity.
Based on the foregoing, we inform you of the Palestinian refugees intention to realize the right to return to their homeland in a peaceful and legal manner, under the legitimacy of the United Nations and the international community and with a legal reference based on international humanitarian law, international human rights laws and United Nations resolutions relevant to the Palestinian cause.
Request for cooperation and draw attention:
We expect the Israeli occupation forces to use excessive and lethal force against the unarmed participants in the great return march. To avoid casualties, and based on the rights granted to civilians in the occupied territories under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and the Fourth Geneva Convention of 1949, which the occupation state signed and its Additional Protocol I of 1977, and under the Rome Statute establishing the International Criminal Court, which incorporated certain acts considered to be war crimes, the most important of which were: “deliberately directing attacks against civilians, civilian sites, personnel or facilities for humanitarian assistance functions as well as the deliberate launching of a military attack that may result in human and material losses, we urge you to exert pressure on your governments and force them to:
– Exert sufficient political and diplomatic pressure on your governments to pressure the Israeli Occupation to respect human rights and prevent them from resorting to the use of excessive force or the implementation of any crime or violation.
– Compel the Israeli occupation state to comply with General Assembly Resolution 194 of 1948 as one of the conditions for its acceptance as a member of the United Nations at the time.
– Obligate the Israeli occupation state to adhere to the articles of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, which was issued on December 12, 1948, and was one of the conditions of its acceptance as a member of the United Nations, where the second paragraph of Article 13 states that everyone has the right to leave any country, including his country or to return to his country.
– Obligate the Israeli occupation state to implement the International resolutions relating to the return of the Palestinian refugees, including the UN Security Council Resolution 242 of 1967, and all relevant resolutions as an inalienable rights of the Palestinian people, most important of which is resolution No. 3236 of 22 November 1974, which in paragraph 2: “Reaffirms also the inalienable right of the Palestinians to return to their homes and property from which they have been displaced and uprooted, and calls for their return”.
– Compel the Government of the occupation, as a State party to the Refugee Convention and Protocol, to not detain migrants and asylum-seekers, and not to criminalize asylum-seekers for irregular entry.
In addition to the above, we urge you to exert sufficient pressure on the Israeli occupation state to allow the immediate return of the Palestinian refugees.
We also look forward to your legal, humanitarian, political, diplomatic and media support for the right of return of the Palestinian refugees and to end 70 years of suffering.
The Coordinating Committee for the Great Return march affirms its commitment and respect for the principles of International Law and Human Rights Law and wishes to work with you to support and achieve the lofty goals of the Greater Return march, which in short means: Enabling the Palestinian people to realize their legitimate rights and to implement the resolutions of the United Nations regarding the return of the Palestinian refugees.
The Coordination Committee for the Great Return march