While we mourn the latest unarmed demonstrators ruthlessly killed by Israeli forces in Gaza, we also wish to remember others killed by the Israeli military 51 years ago today.
On June 8, 1967 Israeli jets and torpedo boats tried to sink the USS Liberty, a U.S. Navy technical surveillance ship, with all men aboard. Israel did not succeed in sinking the ship, but did succeed in killing 34 Americans and injuring 175.
Surviving crew members and the families of those killed have called for a complete, honest investigation into the attack, but Israel and its partisans have called them “antisemitic” and worked to suppress their voices.
We hope you’ll tell others about the attack and support the surviving crew members – and the families whose sons, fathers, husbands, and brothers were killed – in their demand for an honest, open investigation.
- Distribute our fact-sheets and in-depth booklets that give the facts and that expose the media cover up. Write letters to the editor and op-eds for your local newspapers, campus newspapers, etc. Give the booklet exposing the American Legion management’s past cover-up to local Legion posts and ask members to call on Legion leaders to work for the new Legion resolution calling for an investigation, which was recently passed by the membership.
- Discuss the event with friends, neighbors and colleagues.
- Wear a USS Liberty button.
- Go to the USS Liberty Veterans Association website and get a USS Liberty hat, jacket, shirt
, etc, and wear it! Buy the books and give them to local teachers, etc. Ask local libraries to put it on their shelves. Ask local bookstores to feature it.
- Put a USS Liberty bumper sticker on your car.
- Share any of our in-depth articles on the event.
Thank you for helping us oppose cover-ups and support victims whose voices deserve to be heard,
– Alison Weir
Source: If Americans Knew